For over 16 years Willamette Valley Water Polo club has provided a positive place for kids of all ages to learn and play competitive water polo in events all over the United States. As we move into the next chapter of our program, we are updating our name to Willamette Valley Aquatics (WVA).
For years Babette (Babs) Romancier has been a fixture in the Albany swimming community coaching all ages and all levels. Babs brings her commitment to excellence to the WVA family, and because of that, we will be able to expand our commitment to the aquatic world by offering two sports in the mid-Willamette Valley. Babs forty plus years’ experience in swimming balances the nearly 150 years water polo experience provided by the WVWP staff. Additionally, many of the WVWP staff have swimming backgrounds. It was a natural fit. Both programs will continue to offer competitive Water Polo and Swimming in both Albany and Salem as well as surrounding communities. With a commitment to growing our sports and coach our athletes at the highest level, WVA will be a strong force for years to come. As the programs merge the future looks bright.
2018 Spring League is here
For any who might have missed the Parent Meeting on Saturday February 24th, you can review the presentation (PDF) shown during that gathering. Some important take-aways:
- Player Registration: before any game play is allowed, players must Register with WVWP and USA Water Polo. Details, steps for registration with links on the WVWP Learn More page.
Dues cover pool costs for all practices throughout the season.
- Parent Volunteering: each family is expected to contribute 5 hours volunteering time before Oregon Open Water (mid-July), as well as 5 hours WVWP volunteering time at Open Water. Volunteers are the only way the club can operate, and manage to keep dues as low as they are.
Take a look at the Volunteers Sheet and place your name in a cell. If you are not sure of a job’s duties but are willing to learn more about this sport, there will be someone to assist/train/work with you.
1. There are multiple tabs at the bottom of the Google Sheet.
2. The sheet will change as we get closer to events, once there are schedules for games to determine needs. Check back frequently.
- TruWest Oregon Open Water: July 8 (Sunday) – July 12 (Thursday). Games are Monday-Wednesday, but some players and parents will be required to help with setup Sunday night; others with teardown Thursday. More info on the Oregon Open Water page on the site.
- Junior Olympics and Oregon Elite Polo (OEP): the teams in our spring league are working together to assemble teams to go to Junior Olympics in San Jose at the end of July. Potential age groups are U12, U14, U16, & U18. More on the OEP page.
David Douglas is hosting the kick-off to the 2018 season tomorrow (March 3). As mentioned above, players must be registered before play in the Jamboree (schedule on calendar).
In addition to wvwp.org, and periodic emails such as this one, we recommend parents and players both get the TeamApp phone app for Android and iPhone. Once you install, look for WVWP and ask to join. You’ll be approved shortly thereafter.
We are happy to announce the first of our Zone Education & Development (ZED) Clinics. These clinics are designed to provide low cost training opportunities for members of our Zone. The first clinic will be Coach Ted Minnis, Head Coach of the Harvard University Men’s and Women’s teams.
Zone Chair, Pacific Northwest and Hawaii Zone
Curtis High School Aquatic Center
8805 40th Street West
University Place, WA 98466
DATES & SCHEDULE
Saturday, December 16th
12:00-12:45pm College Recruiting Parent/Athlete Talk
1:00-3:30pm Water Session #1
3:30-4:30pm Break (Pizza and beverage provided)
4:30-7:00pm Water Session #2
Lewis & Clark will be inducting their 2017 Hall of Fame honorees on Friday October 20, 2017. Coach Steve Sessa is planning on attending the dinner in honor and support of Chris Edison. If any others are planning to attend, coordinate with Coach Sessa.
Some highlights from the event:
Activities for the Sports Hall of Fame will begin with a social hour on Friday, October 20, 2017 at 5:30 p.m. in the gym foyer of the Pamplin Sports Center. The dinner that will include introduction and induction into the L&C Sports Hall of Fame will follow the social hour.
Dress for the evening is business attire.
Any additional friends and family who would like to join you at the Hall of Fame dinner, please encourage them to do so before Friday, Sept 29th online, to register via phone, or call (503) 768-7950.
Ticket prices for Hall of Fame Dinner are $35 per person. We will do our best to seat you and your guests all together for the dinner. [Again, please contact Coach Steve if you plan to also attend.]
In addition to the festivities on Friday evening, all inductees will be introduced at half time of the football game on Saturday afternoon and will join all of the members of the Sports Hall of Fame on the field for the annual Walk of Fame.
Congratulations once again to Chris! Outstanding honor!
WVWP CLUB EMAIL LIST