Oregon Elite Polo (OEP)
Welcome to Oregon Elite Polo (OEP), a cooperative agreement between multiple Oregon Water Polo Clubs.
This is a unique opportunity for athletes from these clubs to create competitive Junior Olympic (JO) teams in as many age groups as possible, all while still practicing and playing for their home club team.
Below is a basic outline of what OEP entails — please feel free to contact your coach(es) with additional questions.
How do I play on a JO team?
- Athletes will attend try outs, at the Albany Community Pool and/or Salem Kroc Center
- Coaches will evaluate players and select athletes to create the best teams possible in each age group:
(18u boys, 18u girls, 16u boys, 16u girls, 14u boys, 14u girls, 12u coed)
What is the cost?
- $25 Camp/Tryout (2 held in 2018). Registration Open for January 7th’s event
- If selected for a JO team:
- $400: non-refundable deposit once selected for a team.
- Additional cost for travel, tournament fees, hotel, etc related to JO trip
- $TBD: JO qualifying tournament fees (mid/late June)
- $TBD: Foster Lake tournament fees
- USAWP Gold membership required for events
- Effort will be made to keep cost down and fundraising opportunities will be offered
What club would the athlete play for?
- Athletes continue to play for their home team in local competitions and practices.
- Athletes will be required to change club affiliation prior to the JO Qualifying tournament (this only affects the team they play for at national events aka: JO’s and JO Quals).
What is the time and travel commitment?
- Once chosen, athletes will need to participate in OEP practices arranged by their age group’s head coach, number of teams in each age group will depend on number of athletes:
- Expectations are high but realistic!
- Camp/Tryouts: January 7th (Albany Community Pool) & March 4 (Kroc Center Salem)
- Boys JO qualifying tournament (June 15-16, 2018 – location TBD)
- Girls JO qualifying tournament (June 29-30, 2018 – location TBD)
- Foster Lake July 9 – 11, 2018
- Junior Olympics
- Boys: (specific dates TBD) in San Jose, California
- Girls: (specific dates TBD) in San Jose, California
What is required?
- Athletes will be required to change their club affiliation at tryouts to match that of their age group’s head coach. We will assist in this process to assure everyone gets this done correctly.
- Athletes and their parent/guardian are required to sign an OEP Code of Conduct, Substance Abuse Agreement, and Consequences for Violations Policy. These are part of the OEP Registration Form (will be made available later).
- USAWP Gold Membership required for events.
- Athletes are asked to work hard and be ready to play.
- Parents are asked to assist their player’s coaches in every way possible and to SUPPORT all the teams!
Please take the time to talk with your club team’s head coach about the commitment and expectations. Please don’t hesitate to ask questions!
Gary Muzzy – Blue Crush Water Polo
Steve Sessa – Willamette Valley Water Polo