Oregon Elite Polo (OEP)
Welcome to Oregon Elite Polo (OEP), a cooperative agreement between multiple Oregon Water Polo Clubs.
This is a unique opportunity for athletes from these clubs to create competitive Junior Olympic (JO) teams in as many age groups as possible, all while still practicing and playing for their home club team. OEP will be forming teams for both Boys and Girls in
- Boys (18U, 16U, 14U, 12U)
- Girls (18U, 16U, 14U, 12U)
Below is a basic outline of what OEP entails — please feel free to contact your coach(es) with additional questions.
How do I play on a JO team?
- Talk to your coach!
- Athletes will attend try outs, typically at the Albany Community Pool, Salem Kroc Center, Parkrose, or Lake Oswego home pools.
- Coaches will evaluate players and select athletes to create the best teams possible in each age group:
(18U boys, 18U girls, 16U boys, 16U girls, 14U boys, 14U girls, 12U boys, 12U girls)
What is the cost?
- Possible minimal fee for Tryout (typically $25-$50, and if selected can apply to final costs)
- If selected for a JO team:
- $400: non-refundable deposit once selected for a team
- Additional cost for travel, tournament fees, hotel, etc related to JO trip
- $TBD: JO qualifying tournament fees (June 27-30, 2019 for boys and girls)
- $TBD: Foster Lake tournament fees (if team participates)
- USAWP Membership requires Gold Membership for JO Quals and actual JOs (see ‘required’ below)
- Effort will be made to keep cost down and fundraising opportunities may be offered
What club would the athlete play for?
- Athletes continue to play for their home team in local competitions and practices.
- Athletes will be required to change club affiliation prior to the JO Qualifying tournament (this only affects the team they play for at national events such as JO’s and JO Qualifiers).
What is the time and travel commitment?
- Once chosen, athletes will need to participate in OEP practices arranged by their age group’s head coach, number of teams in each age group will depend on number of athletes
- Expectations are high but realistic!
- Boys & Girls JO qualifying tournament (June 27-30, 2019 – Mount Hood Community College)
- Foster Lake July 8 – 11, 2019
- Junior Olympics (USAWP Info)
- Boys: (July 20-23, 2019) in Orange County, CA
- Girls: (July 25-28, 2019) in Orange County, CA
What is required?
- USAWP Membership requirement changes:
- Age Verification must be completed (only required once ever with USAWP, minimal fee if not yet completed)
- USAWP Gold Membership required for events (at minimum, JO Quals and JOs itself, obviously)
- Athletes will be required to change their club affiliation at tryouts to match that of their age group’s head coach. Talk to your coach or parent board for assistance in this process
- Athletes are asked to work hard and be ready to play.
- Parents are asked to assist their player’s coaches in every way possible and to SUPPORT all the teams!
- Recommended: Register for OEP and get TeamApp for your phone (both free). This is the best way to get the most up-to-date info as OEP information can change quickly.
Please take the time to talk with your club team’s head coach about the commitment and expectations, as well as ask any other questions you may have!
Gary Muzzy – Blue Crush Water Polo
Aukai Ferguson – Lake Oswego Water Polo
Steve Sessa – Willamette Valley Water Polo